Parent Effectiveness Training
Parent Effectiveness Training, otherwise known as P.E.T. teaches a unique and influential style of parenting that respects the needs of each individual in a family. It teaches children that their emotions and thoughts are valid, and teaches parents how to interact with their child in a way that nurtures their development into confident, capable, and emotionally intelligent adults.
When starting P.E.T it is very common that parents find immediate relief from having to personally solve all the family’s problems and they have their eyes opened to a much easier, more peaceful way to parent moving forward.
At Sunflowers & Butterflies we teach parents easy to use, proven and psychologically safe skills so they can communicate with influence creating the foundation for a more harmonious and peaceful family life.
Dr. Thomas Gordon’s, Parent Effectiveness Training (P.E.T.) class is the pioneering program that has helped millions of parents around the world since 1962. We have classes offered by certified P.E.T. Instructors throughout the United States and in many different countries.
Did you know that we now offer the P.E.T. class online?
Visit our P.E.T. events page to see the current schedule.
If you’ve heard of I-Messages and Communication Roadblocks (both created by Dr. Gordon), or Active Listening (created by Dr. Carl Rogers), it’s because of P.E.T.
There are many different parenting programs out there in the world. How do you decide which one is right for you? Here is a comparison of the most well-known programs out there–we hope you find it helpful. Perhaps P.E.T. is the right one for you. Please read on to learn more about what the program is all about. And you can also check out some videos from Dr. Gordon himself, P.E.T. Instructors and clients on our parenting channel on youtube.
Whether you’re the parent of a toddler or a teenager, you know that parenting can be challenging–even overwhelming at times. Unfortunately, children don’t come with an instruction manual. And, being a parent doesn’t always mean that you automatically or instinctively know what to do. Parent Effectiveness Training (P.E.T.) offers proven communication skills that really work. When they use these skills, parents are amazed with the dramatic improvement both in their families and in all their relationships. This program was created by award-winning psychologist and three-time Nobel Peace Prize Nominee, Dr. Thomas Gordon in 1962.
PARENT EFFECTIVENESS TRAINING by three time Nobel Peace Prize Nominee, Dr Thomas Gordon, teaches skills and supports families in building more peaceful and loving relationships.
P.E.T. is a course especially designed for families to learn a time-tested model of communication offering skills which enhance relationships with children and other important people in their lives.
Bookings are being taken now for my next online P.E.T. course starting 26 April 2023. There is an option to participate in a group course or take a course one on one. Contact me should the times and dates not suit.
Register your name early to secure your place. Read more details of the course below.
P.E.T. ENABLES PARENTS TO:
- Create warmer more satisfying relationships
- Help children solve their own problems
- Resolve parent/child conflicts more easily
- Comfortably express their own concerns and unmet needs related to children’s behaviour
- Parents want to get their needs met too. The challenge of ‘trying’ to be consistent, present a united front, and be forever tolerant.
- How to listen so children will feel heard and understood using ‘Active listening’ or listening with empathy.
- How to talk so children will respect your needs. Effective communication of your needs that really works.
- Other ways to prevent and influence change in unacceptable behaviour. Strategies for modifying the environment and reducing conflict.
- The inevitable conflicts. Who will win? Gaining cooperation and avoiding power struggles.
- The no-lose method. How it develops resilience in kids and reduces rebellion or resentment.
- Resolving value collisions with children, partner, friends & family members.
PROBLEMS FAMILIES MAY BE FACING:
- Children don’t talk openly to parents
- Family conflict
- Using punishment triggers feelings of guilt for parents and children react resentfully
- Day-to-day demands often cause parents to feel, overwhelmed, overloaded and over-tired
- Hassles over issues like: bedtimes, chores, rules, screen time
- Children resist parents ideas and their values
- Tantrums, scenes, battles of wills, flare-ups are frequent
- Getting to school, arguments over homework or achievement level
- Children have difficulty being assertive ; dealing with bullying
DETAILS OF THE COURSE:
Sessions: The course is 24 hours. The interactive online course will be conducted over 8 x 3 hour sessions. Classes are small and conducted in a friendly and relaxed environment via Zoom. Individual coaching sessions are also available.
Who would attend: You do not have to be a parent. P.E.T. is open and valuable to anyone who is involved in situations, both personal and professional, where effective interpersonal communication is vital. Where possible it is most beneficial for couples to attend.
SOME ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
FOR THE PARENT PERSONALLY:
• Less stress and anxiety.
• Better able to deal with anger and strong emotions
• Increased self confidence and assertiveness
• Learn listening skills
• Increased self -understanding
BENEFITS FOR FAMILIES:
• Better two-way communication
• More family harmony
• Establish successful discipline
• Children become self-disciplined, more responsible and solve own problems
• Warmer feelings, closer relationships
• Children are more self-reliant, resilient, independent, and self-motivated Children more open to parent’s ideas
• More fun in the family!
2 weekends (Sunday , Monday)
5 hours per day
9.00am – 2.30pm. Tallebudgera, Gold Coast QLD
Course dates for October 2023 – 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th October 2023
$795 – $1390